The RV Gang

The  RV  Gang

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tues.,May 15th-Fri.,May17th: KANSAS

Tuesday, May 15th,
When I woke up this morning I could hardly walk!  What did it do to my foot again???  The good thing is that I can put pressure on it, but it hurts.  I couldn’t tell if I broke a bone by my little toe because when I twisted it I heard a “pop”.  It’s not in the same area as my original break, it’s the bottom area of my little toe.  I can’t put any pressure on that area so I was trying just to walk on my heal.    Well, Shelley’s brother in law flies a little plane and offered to take everyone up flying this afternoon, but I decided that I should just stay home.  Kara was so sweet and got me all set up on her bed with my foot propped up on pillows and the TV all set to watch the taped Dancing With the Stars episode from last night.  I actually enjoyed the quiet time and was thankful for a little peace and quiet.  The rest of the group, including my girls, went to go flying in Wichita. 



About 2 hours later Brittany called me to see how I was doing and told me she just got to fly by herself with Uncle Mark and he let her land the plane.  She was so excited!!  She was also asking if I needed to go to the doctor??  I didn’t really want to go but I figured since we still had 2 weeks left on our trip that I should figure out what I did to my foot.    And Kara insisted that I go.  I had to call Kaiser  to figure out what it do as an out of town patient, but it was actually very easy thankfully . . . I just hope now that I don’t get a huge bill in the mail for going to the clinic!!
We drove to Newton, Kansas to go to the Urgent Care.  Dr. Snyder was a very friendly down to earth Doctor.  He was incredibly intrigued with our trip and where we have been, even more so than my hurt foot.   We got to talking so much about the trip that he almost forgot why I was there.  Of course he told me that was going to need x-rays so he could determine the course of care.  I hobbled down the hall way to x-ray and then hobbled back to the room.  The x-ray technician was so kind that she automatically made me a copy of the x-rays to take home with me.   When Dr. Snyder came back into the room, he thought that I had broken my foot as he was looking at my original break.  I explained to him that it doesn’t hurt where my old break is, but that it hurts under my pinky toe.  This totally puzzled him because he said my original break looked like an acute fracture, but where my pinky toe is looked like an old break.  Ha . . . we are definitely in the mid-west Kansas.  He decided to talk to the radiologist to see what he thought it looked like, and the radiologist said the same thing.   I believe that they are looking at my bad break from November as the doctor told me in January,  at the last x-ray, that it will still look like it was broken probably for a about a year. Well, regardless of what I did he offered me a walking boot to immobilize the foot.  I’m not too happy about putting my foot back inside that darn boot, but I would rather do that then crutches.   The boot definitely helped with walking, but I’m still not happy about wearing it again!
Wed. May 16th,
Today we just hung out at the house and rested my foot.  Shelley’s sister works and couldn’t take today off, so while she was working we worked on our blogs and the details for the rest of the trip.   Kara was so gracious and it was such a blessing to be at her house where we could rest. 
Brooke wanted my camera to take some pictures of her and Grace.  I told her if she was going to take pictures that she had to take some of the house and the dogs too.  They had a great time and did an excellent job taking pictures of one another. 





Thurs. May 17th,
My foot was still sore this morning but I think it might be better.  I’m pretty sure I just sprained a muscle in the front part of my foot since I can walk on it.   So we decided to go to Wichita to a place called Cow Town, an actual 1800’s cowboy town.   It was awesome but walking around a dirt town in 92 degree weather with a walking boot on was a little challenging.  Although,  I’m glad I went and didn’t miss out because it was a great representation of what the old cowboy towns looked like.  Two original early 1800 houses had been moved from another area of Wichita.   They had been slightly restored but mostly original . . . wow, they were primitive.  I am constantly reminding the kids to be thankful for our house and even the small RV after seeing these bare bone houses and living quarters.  They sure have seen a lot of them!! 



As we first walked into Cow Town, the girls were able to try their swing at lassoing a cow (of course not a real cow).    It took several swings to try and get the hang of it, but they finally did.
Then we walked into the town area where there were several lower middle class houses, and one upper class home.  We learned that the living room/entrance area was the most important room in the house for entertaining.   Most of their money for decorating the house at that time period would be put into making the entrance room and dining room really beautiful and the rest of the house and kitchen could be very plain.  Guests wouldn’t usually go past the front room unless a dinner was being served.   Behind closed doors no one would know that the rest of the house was plain. 
There was a Livery with a steer and horses, and a stagecoach that the kids got to climb into.  It usually is brought out for rides when they have special events, but the kids were excited to just sit in it.    In the center of town was a train station, a saloon where we bought some tasty Sarsaparilla, a hotel, a blacksmith, and a meat market.  At 3:00 in the middle of town the workers who were dressed up did a reenactment of a shoot-out in a traditional cowboy town.  They were actually very funny because the lady took over and shot the bad guy!!




Along the backside of the town we walked through several other adorable buildings like the barber shop, land office, the Wichita City Eagle and printing shop, the saddle & harness shop, the milliner clothing store, the law offices, dry goods & notions, the funeral parlor, the carpenter’s shop,  and the general store.   I loved the town even though I had to hobble around!!


On the way back to Kara’s we went to Cabela’s, which is a huge outdoor hunting, fishing, and recreation store that is famous all over the US.  They don’t have a large amount of stores but their catalog in awesome to order from.  My hunting family loves Cabela’s and has been totally outfitted with gear for all their outdoor needs.  Brooke might want to take a shot at hunting someday. . . . watch out Papa, here she comes!!
We had a wonderful “Jambalaya” dinner with chicken and shrimp that Uncle Mark made especially for us and we sat out on their lovely deck looking over the corn fields of Kansas.  It was a beautiful evening and the temperature was perfect now because it had been so hot today.   It was a joy to get to know Shelley’s sister’s family and such a blessing to be in a home when I hurt my foot again!  Even though trials are constant, God’s perfect timing is always evident.  

No comments:

Post a Comment