The RV Gang

The  RV  Gang

Friday, March 30, 2012

SAVANNAH, GEORGIA


I started the day today with a wonderful walk to the beach to see the sun rise and listen to my Christian podcasts.  I had good intentions of going when the sun actually rose at 6:30am, but I didn’t quite make it.  Although, even though I arrived at the beach at 8:30 the sun was spectacular.    I loved having the quiet time to pray and thank the Lord for this time and His beautiful creation.
I walked back to the Resort and strolled to the back side where the delta is.  There is a beautiful walkway that takes you out to overlook the water.  On the way out I noticed this sign that had all the Disney Vacation Clubs listed on it and how far away they are. . . that was interesting since we are Disney Vacation Members.


When I returned to the room, Brooke, Christian, and Gracie were all ready to go swimming in the pool again.  We walked down there right as the slide was opening so they were extremely excited. 



I went back to the room to pack up and shower.  Just before we were about to leave Shelley took the 3 of them down the walkway to the marsh and they discovered all kinds of creatures.

We packed up the RV and drove over to the next parking lot to shop in the adorable gift shops that we had found yesterday on the harbor.   We had too much fun in there because now we were leaving really late for Savannah . . . but ‘Oh well’ . . . that’s what a trip like this is all about.
We arrived in Savannah just in time to tour the small history museum for about 30 minutes.  It had all the eras of history that Savannah has been significant in because it’s such an old town, one of the oldest in the United States.   The kids favorite part was trying on all the old style of hats, and Brittany loved the Forest Gump display.









Next, we walked to the next block to Battlefield Park.  Here is where they fought the bloodiest battle of the American Revolution on October 9th, 1797.  About 800 men died, but the British only lost 80 and won.   Their fort had a large moat all the way around it and a large mound to protect them but that is it.  We walked inside and I made the girls look out and pretend that they were shooting at the soldiers coming at them which was portrayed on the stepping stones straight ahead.  Then we walked over to the stepping stones to count how many me and they all had fun trying to figure it out.  After doing it several times they concluded that there were 80 soldiers lined up to march towards the fort.   








We found a stone dedicated to Andrew Jackson, the president, who fought in the war when he was 13.  Wow . . . only a year older than Christian!   



We drove around Savannah in the RV for about an hour and looked at all the old buildings and beautiful architecture. 
Then we were off to Charleston, South Carolina. 

We had another fabulous day!




3 comments:

  1. Hi there I know we've never met my name is Rebecca I'm a former classmate/friend of Amy's. Not too long ago she mentioned that you homeschool your kids and that it's a great program. I'm just wondering what program you use and if you have any advice. I'm going to be starting this fall with my oldest son he's 5. I've been preschooling him and his younger brother but now that kindergarten is around the corner I must admit I'm scared out of my mind. Thanks so much, looksmike your all having a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belle. Thank you for commenting on my blog! I would love to talk to you about homeschooling when I get home. We have a great program through Rincon Valley Christian School that I have been doing since we started. I'm home on June 1st so remind me to call you this summer. Thanks so much.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your response. I will be sure to check back with you on or after June 1st. I'm also connected with Amy on facebook it's under Josh Rebecca Brito Bayne.
      Thanks again,
      Rebecca

      Delete